Crieff Hills Retreat and Conference Centre is located on 250 acres of land west of Crieff, Ontario, a small village about 60 km west of Toronto, 25 km north of Hamilton, 15 km east of Kitchener-Waterloo and 15 km south of Guelph.
Facilities include a historic dining room, conference hall, meeting rooms, three lodges and four retreat houses for group accommodation, as well as private retreat suites for individuals and couples. The property offers walking trails, a high ropes adventure course, meditative gardens, an outdoor labyrinth and a prayer shelter.
Crieff Hills Retreat and Conference Centre provides a place apart for spiritual renewal and leadership development. This Christian community welcomes individuals, families, congregations, businesses, schools and agencies to enjoy God's creation.
Crieff Hills Community is a Christian Retreat and Conference Centre serving churches, non-profit organizations and community groups, as well as small and medium sized business. It offers meeting rooms, facilities and accommodations for residential or day visits.
In the 1920's Col J.B. Maclean (the founder of "Maclean's magazine", "The Financial Post" and Maclean-Hunter publishers) was responsible for having restoration and renovation work done on the grounds and cemetery of Knox Presbyterian Church which was at the cross-roads of Crieff. In 1925 as recognition of his service, he was given the old manse and the acre of land on which it sat. This land and house he made into his country home. Gradually he bought adjacent farm land (300 acres) and made a model working farm with a dairy herd, pigs, grain fields, orchards and about 100 acres of reforested land. His estate - Crieff Hills Farm - became known far and wide for its beautiful landscape and gardens.
When Col Maclean died in 1950 he left 250 acres of the farm and its buildings to the Presbyterian Church in Canada, along with money invested to be used "to maintain and develop the several properties at Crieff ... as a model and example to other communities." After 25 years of being rented out for farming and private residences, the property began to be developed into a retreat and conference centre for the church under the Directorship of the Reverend Robert Spencer and the Maclean Estate Committee.
to see beautiful, nature photos of our surroundings.
See the Photo Gallery
A Place Apart ... to Come Together