In 1940 Col. Maclean commissioned a stone cottage to be built for the herdsman who cared for his animals, including cattle, sheep, chickens and horses. It made from local stones and during its construction, a limekiln was made on the site to produce the mortar for construction. Remnants of the kiln can still be seen just across from the front door of the house. Once it was no longer needed for the herdsman, it became the home of the local school teacher for S. S. Number 6 Puslinch until the retreat centre was opened. In 1975 a room was added to one side to facilitate larger gatherings and the original living room converted to another bedroom. Although the original gardens no longer exist, the forest has grown up and now surrounds the house, creating a beautiful secluded spot for visitors.