You, as the leader of a group who are guests at Crieff Hills Community will be required to sign a Leading With Care Policy Statement. This represents your understanding and agreement to abide by all Policies and Proceedures contained in the Covenant of Care for Crieff Hills Community.
I promise in all my relationships with children / youth / vulnerable adults to follow appropriate action. I promise to use only the physical contact that is deemed appropriate as defined in Leading with Care, A Policy for Ensuring a Climate of Safety for Children, Youth and Vulnerable Adults in The Presbyterian Church in Canada. (4.12.1)
4.12.1 Physical Contact
It is essential to be careful regarding behaviour, language and physical contact when working with children / youth / vulnerable adults:
- Do not show favouritism when dealing with children / youth / vulnerable adults. Show a similar level of affection and kindness to all.
- Do not engage in or allow the telling of sexual jokes or behave in a way that promotes sexual exploitation of others.
- Provide clearly stated consequences for inappropriate behaviour. Stop inappropriate behaviour early. Be fair, consistent and reasonable, matching consequences to the age and ability of the child / youth.
- Do not use corporal punishment such as hitting, spanking or strapping.
a. Appropriate and inappropriate touching
A touch can convey a multitude of positive messages and communicate care, comfort and love; however, it is important to distinguish between appropriate and inappropriate touching. It is also important to be aware of and sensitive to, differences in interpretation to touching based on sex, culture or personal experience.
b. Dealing with a participant's inappropriate behaviour
The best approach to dealing with inappropriate behaviour is thoughtful prevention. If a teacher / leader has prepared for teaching / leading, makes clear statements about expectations and provides an engaging program, inappropriate behaviour will be avoided or reduced.
- I promise to use appropriate language;
- I promise to show no bias based on gender, ethnic background, skin colour, intelligences, age, religion, sexual orientation or socio-economic status;
- I promise to show no favouritism when dealing with children / youth / vulnerable adults but to show a similar level of affection and kindness to all;
- I promise to not engage in or allow the telling of sexual jokes or to behave in a way that promotes sexual exploitation of others;
- I promise to provide clearly stated consequences for inappropriate behaviour and to stop inappropriate behaviour early; to be fair, consistent and reasonable, matching consequences to the age and ability of the child / youth;
- I promise to not use corporal punishment such as hitting, spanking or strapping;
- I promise that I will not harass others;
- I promise to respect confidentiality and privacy, unless a child, youth or vulnerable adult is in danger, then I will report to a child protection agency or the police.